Monday, March 12, 2012

so what about granada?

I've realized that I've been posting so much about trips I've gone on but I've failed at talking about anything in Granada. Sooo here's a little snapshot of life in 'granaaaa'

Whenever I'm on my way back to Granada after a trip I've noticed myself saying "can't wait to be home" and it really makes me happy that Granada has become my new home and that I feel comfortable here. I've hit a couple bumps in the road, but overall everything is great. I love that I have enough free time to meet up with friends for a 'paseo' (walk) and wander through the city, finding new places every time. There are endless tapas restaurants, endless plazas to sit and eat ice cream and endless shopping as well. Because I've been spending MORE than enough money on traveling, I've been avoiding the shopping somewhat. But when coffee, tapas, or a pasty from the 'bread lady' only costs a buck or two, its really a great way to get out, be social, and people watch :) the other day while i was sitting in a plaza with a friend, there was a Spanish guy playing his guitar by himself for a while, then he packed up his things and walked over to a random group of Spaniards that were also hanging out in the plaza. He sat down, introduced himself, and they were instantly friends. It's amazing how friendly everyone is here.

Just like at home, it's easy to get sucked into your routine once you have one. Of course there are places that I've tried, and loved, and continue to go to. But, I also try to force myself to try new places. There is SO much to do and see in the city and I think it would be a waste to not take it all in.

Another thing I like is that people here aren't afraid to mix 'business with pleasure'
During my conversation class, my professor has just told everyone to pack up their bags because were going to get tapas and a drink. This is 'accecptable' because as long as were practicing our Spanish (and she's correcting us) we're learning just the same... The first time it was weird that we were all having beers with our professor at 1 in the afternoon, but that's just how it is here (and i'm totally fine with it.... of course). Our reason for 'celebration' the first time was because her nephew was born, the second we just went out because it was a nice day and then when she later learned it was my friends birthday, she decided to pay for all of our drinks.

The next day in class, when it was Ingrid's birthday we were discussing our plans for the night, and she said, alright call me later and i'll meet up with you. Sure enough, we call her that night around 11, and she tells us to meet up with her and one of our other professors at a new bar that had just opened up. It was a really fun night and I think it's great that we're able to get to know our professors on a more personal level than office ours on a thursday at 2:00....
My classes here are great because I dont have a class that is bigger than 12 people (some as small at 7) and the professors aren't too concerned with upholding their 'professionalism' and they actually make the effort to get to know us.

Any way, this past weekend I made SURE I stayed in Granada because I don't have one more full weekend here besides the weekend before I leave. I had my first experience with Botellon. (Which is a BIG outdoor plaza) It's the only LEGAL place to drink outside in Granada, although everyone still drinks wherever they want and the police would never even stop the car if they saw you walk down the street drinking from a bottle of wine.

On a Friday or Saturday night it gets packed! People will go out for tapas until 11:30 or 12 then head to botellon until 2 or 3 and then head to the discotecas! it's a great place to meet new people. Also, there are lots of workers from the discotecas that come around to pass out tickets for free entrance or discounted drinks! it's a win-win :)


On another note I've discovered how to change the settings on the TV from Spanish-dubbed to regular English for the american shows. let me say, I am one happy camper. I'm watching shows I never watched at home, but there is something comforting about watching and hearing AMERICAN English shows. I can only handle soo many episodes of spanish soap-operas.

No comments:

Post a Comment